So….you are Relocating to Hawaii with the Military, a Job Transfer or just want to Retire here in our islands …… well, you came to the right place for information galore to help you adjust in your move….across the ocean to Paradise.
Your Relocation to Hawaii and Purchasing Your New Home. The following information is basic but pertinent information to go over before you even pack for your transfer and before considering purchasing your Honolulu County (Oahu) home. Moving across the Pacific Ocean to a totally different and diverse culture may be of a shock and you may want to brush up on a few tips to make your transition a smooth one.
- *Across the Ocean to Paradise: Military Relocations Hawaii* Don’t be shocked when you arrive…get the scoop on the environment, jobs, house hunting, BAH current rates and more!
- The Art of Hawaii Relocations Expect smaller, different and of course paradise.
- A Honolulu Hawaii Relocation: Getting Ready With Your “To Do” List Great information to get ready and be proactive in planning your relocation and move to Hawaii!
- VA Loans & Hawaii Military Relocations: This Realtors® Process Know the process for your VA benefits and the VA loan process.
- Honolulu-Hawaii Pet Quarantine: Prepare For Your Hawaii Move! Hawaii is Rabies Free so our laws are strict with incoming pets.
- Oahu and Surrounding Neighborhood Search: Relocations Hawaii A look into how I set you up to receive automatic listings with your own personal webpage to fine tune your criteria for your home purchase
- What’s in Your Wallet? This online relocation packet may be informational but I always send out printed booklets as well. It’s just …well….more personal.
- Visitor and Newcomer Safety Tips for Hawaii! Take heed to some safety tips as it will surely make you one proactive person….and it could save you and your family from harm.
- 10 Simple Things for BUYING YOUR HAWAII HOME For one, you will have your own agent (known as a Buyer’s Agent) to represent your best interests. Another, leave the work to us and not your friend, family or yourself. It’s like having an operation performed by a school teacher. Doesn’t work like that.
- HAWAII OPEN HOUSES (RULES WHILE ATTENDING) Sometimes, buyers are under the impression that they are better negotiators and will be able to get a better deal. Read tips for Open Houses because the agent holding the Open House is thinking in the best interests of the seller…not you.
Land Use and other Zoning Laws It is without a doubt that our Hawaiian Islands have little buildable land so it is detrimental to keep all of our zoning and land use laws intact. The majority of our land is Preservation and Conservation land and the following will give you insight
- Preservation & Conservation: Military Land Use on Oahu Hawaii’s West Coast The Military’s presence and their role with helping to understand the importance of preservation of the land.
- Hawaii (Oahu) Zoning, Special Use and Building Permits Zoning laws, land use and maps of Oahu.
- Hawaii Coastal Land: *Ponder Before Purchasing* Important facts to consider when considering a purchase of Coastal Land.
- Purchasing Hawaii Vacant Land? Ancient Hawaiian Burial Sites and Laws A few ‘must knows’ when it comes when you come across ancient burial sites.
Neighborhoods in Honolulu County and Market Report too! An insight into the different neighborhoods and what they have to offer. You will also get current market statistics in each community for which I wrote for that period.
- The Market DEPENDS on the Circumstances Doesn’t It? Every individual has different needs, circumstances and criteria for purchasing or selling their home. An overview of reasons as well as OAHU (Honolulu County) market report for the island.
- Be Part of the Solution For Your Market; Because “Shift” Always Happens All neighborhoods tell a different story when it comes to current market statistics so in my opinion there is NO nationwide statistics to compare to our Hawaii Market. This article was written last summer although with the other articles you will read you will find out that our market has stabilized. Some may have gone up, down or just remained at level sales prices.
- Relocating to Hawaii? Ewa Gentry & Ocean Pointe Communities Get more bang for your buck in these areas. Ocean Pointe is a newer community (and still growing) with energy efficient homes and central air conditioning and Ewa Gentry is a little older but still have some nicely upgraded and central air in some communities.
- Royal Palm @ Waipio Gentry: Hawaii Relocations Centrally located but still in the North Leeward district this community has stopped building although if you are looking for townhouses there are some reasonably priced ones as well. Across from the Patsy Mink Central Oahu Regional Park this community has an industrial area as well as residential (including Costco!)
- Oahu, Hawaii Relocations: The Waipio Gentry Community, Oahu, Hawaii is another article in this area that will give you an overall view of the Waipio Gentry Community and statistics on single family and townhomes.
- Hawaii Relocations: The Mililani Community on Oahu, Hawaii Central Oahu and a 30 year and growing Master Planned Community with 7 recreation centers, 3 shopping centers, elementary schools, intermediate and high school too. Two sides divide Mililani with the H-2 freeway. Mililani Town and Mililani Mauka. Schofield and Wheeler Bases are 5 to 10 minutes north of Mililani.
- Waikele Community – Homes, Condos & Market – Honolulu County Hawaii 12 townhome communities and 9 single family communities you have it all here in Waikele with the wonderful
- Ko Olina Resort & Marina: Can’t Get Any Better Than This! Resort style living by the ocean with its own yacht club too. Check it out if you want luxury living.
- Hawaii Relocation & Move? The Royal Summit & Newtown Communities in Aiea Hawaii The Royal Summit community have all custom built homes that were built to the owners delight. They are all zoned for ONE residential home on each lot and have been building from the 1980’s.
- A Bit Above in Wailuna Community – Honolulu Hawaii Relocation Wailuna community on Kaahumanu Street – on the Waiau Ridge.
Honolulu County (Oahu) Weather and Traffic – It is a given that with an island so small and a population of almost one million that we do have peak traffic hours as in any other part of the country. For a look at Oahu’s traffic click on the following TRAFFIC CAM to view during peak hours.
- Torrential Rains, Thunder, Lightning, Floods……… and Snow? Only in Hawaii! Though the majority of the time we have our blue sunny skies and tropical atmosphere there are times we get rainy weather and …..yes, snow on the other island
Things to Do, History & Places to See – A three part series for a brief, condensed Points of Interest series to learn a little about our island and our so diverse and full of different cultures and ways of life.
- ActiveRain Guide to Oahu: Points of Interest (Part III)
- ActiveRain Guide to Oahu: Points of Interest (Part I)
- ActiveRain Guide to Oahu: Points of Interest (Part II)
- Our Adventure: The Star of Honolulu Sunset Dinner Cruise
Condo or Townhouse Living: Rules to Follow and Steps to Protect: If you are contemplating downsizing then condo / townhouse living may be an option. With maintenance fees for most associations taking care of the bulk of your homeowner’s insurance (common elements), and repairs to the outside, roof, grounds and water/trash and sewere this may just be an option.
- Hawaii Townhouse Living… Responsible Homeowners Take Steps to Protect Owners have responsibilities to fix or report leaks etc. Being proactive to reduce further damage is a must!
- Hawaii Condominium Associations: Rules To Follow! A few pointers to follow your Condo/Townhouse Association Rules. It does make for a nice community.
History of schools and links to Hawaii’s Education System A brief look at the history of Hawaii and its school system as well as researching schools and neighborhoods suitable for your family and their Relocation to Hawaii.
- The History of Education and Schools in Hawaii
- Other Links for Education: Department of Education in Hawaii–Hawaii Public Schools has loads of information, forms, reports, technology, special interests, jobs, public libraries and so much more on this site!!
- Military bases with schools and also a map with locations.
Myths, Legends and Superstitions: Every place has it’s history as well as their “stories”….come join me in revisiting some old tales of Hawaii. It is a given that there are certain things to respect on the islands. Not only do we have Ancient Burial Site laws that protect our land…we also have certain sites that still have remnants of ancient temples that are not to be disturbed.
- Hawaiian Legends – Nightmarchers, Menehune, and the Tiki Gods The legends continue…..
- HAWAIIAN Spirits and Superstitions Just a few of the stories and tales from the elders passed on….
And a special Hawaii Military Relocation Story:
Bottom line is this.
It’s not easy moving across the Pacific Ocean let alone to a totally different “world” of people,
but you can do it with a little effort, motivation and a great Realtor®!
If you’re Relocating to Hawaii (regardless if it’s near future or just wanting to be proactive for the future) contact me to get started with your search for Hawaii Homes for Sale.
Celeste “Sally” Cheeseman, RA, e-PRO / Century 21 Liberty Homes, Mililani, Hawaii